Saturday, February 7, 2009

Feathered Finds!

Well our little feathered friends have been pretty sparse the last few days and are now today only starting to reappear. I was wondering if the neighborhood cats were being too noisy or if the kids were, but then we spotted...
This guy! Way up in the tree, the tree closest to our house (the one with my clothes line attached to it). Thank goodness for cameras with zoom!! :)

Look at that! Beautiful! It was pretty windy this day and I took many pictures all with a branch right in the way. And then just at the right second the branches parted, he looked right towards me and my camera cooperated! Look at those talons!! Now for the bummer, being from the west with different feathered fliers, and my seemingly major ineptness to using the field guide I have no clue what kind of hawk this is. Dan suggested a red tailed hawk (he has not seen it) because they are common here so I looked that up but I really do not think so! So any suggestions? Kathy? You know the neighborhood birds pretty well! :)



2 comments:

kathy said...

I say WOW, Hunter says scary! I don't know what that is, so I called Mike in he's pretty good at this stuff. He thinks some kind of hawk but it's hard to tell with it's wings closed. His other guess is a osprey another type of hawk. He says a regular hawk with it's wings open the ends fan out like fingers and the osprey comes to more of a point. I saw a woodpecker that size in Naug once. I miss the birds in Naug. I don't see as many here even though they are here. You should enter that in the bird photo contest I'm doing. I'm doing one of a hummingbird. I hope I didn't miss the deadline.

Danna said...

I think my husband has in narrowed down to a Sharp Shinning Hawk or a Cooper Hawk. They are very simmilar, and needs a little further investigation to confirm.